- The tender by NASA Multiplex for the construction of the structural frame included several design alternatives developed by BG&E. BG&E also undertook construction engineering including analysis of the building deformations occurring during construction.
BG&E ALTERNATIVE DESIGN
- An alternative floor system utilising precast concrete floor panels acting compositely with a perimeter steel frame reducing the amount of steelwork in the typical floors by approximately 70%.
- An alternative design for the principle columns changed the original all steel columns into composite steel and concrete with an overall saving in steel weight of nearly 50%.
- Mega trusses at 10 floor intervals have been attached to the core elements using post-tensioning which greatly simplified the truss to core connections.
- The savings resulting from these alternative designs turned the NASA Multiplex bid into the lowest and winning bid. The implemented design changes simplified the construction process and facilitated the erection of nine floors per month (over an extended working day), and greatly contributed to the project’s success.