At BG&E, we are united by a common purpose – we believe that truly great engineering takes curiosity, bravery and trust, and is the key to creating extraordinary built environments.
Our 800-strong team in 14 offices across Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom and Middle East, design and deliver engineering solutions for clients in the Property, Transport, Ports and Marine, Water, Defence, Renewables and Resources sectors.
We work in partnership with clients and other stakeholders – to challenge conventional wisdom, pioneer new benchmarks in technical excellence, design safety into projects and leverage mutually-rewarding delivery models. BG&E’s projects are also shaped by changing demands in mobility, the impacts of climate change, emerging design trends and consideration of the entire lifecycle.
BG&E is an employee-owned engineering consultancy with more than half a century of experience. Our legacy and our future are underpinned by an unwavering commitment to providing premium client experiences.
BG&E’s values are: care and integrity, the pursuit of excellence, and one team. Our values inform our behaviours and the way we: help clients around the world, empower our people to be high-performing and creative, and contribute to communities. Living our values every day ensures that we demonstrate care and integrity, strive to pursue excellence and serve as one team, that is ‘The BG&E Way’.
About the Role
BG&E Melbourne is seeking to hire Trainee Civil Designers to join our established team and participate on large scale major infrastructure projects. These roles will provide the successful candidates with opportunities to grow their professional skills in a supportive environment, and help to kick start their careers with continuous training and development opportunities to see you succeed with BG&E.
At BG&E no two days are the same, we have several exciting projects and we believe in developing and encouraging our people to develop their career and gain some great skills.
The roles can either be casual for someone still studying, however, for those who have finished their studies full-time hours can be offered.
As a Trainee Civil Designer, you will work as part of a supportive team to design and model roads and their surrounding environment in 2D and 3D, in accordance with Austroads and VicRoads standards, for small to large scale transport infrastructure projects. The successful applicant, upon completion of their traineeship, can look forward to a career as a Civil / Road Designer with BG&E.
What to expect day to day:
- Assisting in the design of roads and their surrounding environment using OpenRoads or 12d software.
- Continual improvement in the use of software.
- Develop a knowledge of Austroads and VicRoads standards in relation to road design and road safety.
- Develop a knowledge of relevant processes and systems used in the delivery of transport infrastructure projects.
- Work in accordance with company and office policies.
- General engineering office duties.
About You (Qualifications, Skills and Experience)
This is the perfect opportunity for someone who is currently studying in the field or who is looking to gain experience. You are self-motivated with a keen passion to learn and work with a diverse team that are involved in a wide range of projects. You enjoy working with technology and have an understanding AutoCAD and/or Revit.
You will also hold the following:
- VCE completion (or equivalent) – including mathematics and science subjects.
- Currently studying or have completed a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Civil Engineering Design.
- A willingness to learn and develop a career in civil design/civil drafting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Work with and take guidance from senior team members in support of your role and your development.
- Open to receiving feedback from team members and providing feedback on projects.
- Intermediate computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience in AutoCAD or Microstation is desirable but not essential.
- High attention to detail.
Realising Your Career Aspirations (Life at BG&E)
- Flexible working (incl. working from home)
- Health and wellbeing support, as well as from an independent Employee Assistance Program provider
- Attractive remuneration and Paternal Leave (up to 3 months paid parental leave)
- On-the-job mentoring and support to help you be the best you can be
- Learning and development initiatives (incl. contributions to training)
- Discounted Gym Membership
Diversity and Inclusion
Equality is part of BG&E’s DNA – it begins with our values and continues through our culture – and is fostered throughout our workplaces. We recognise and celebrate difference, and encourage our people and potential candidates to be comfortable in bringing your complete self to work. We value who you are. Click here for further information about diversity, equality and inclusion at BG&E.
BG&E is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applications from all candidates. For roles that are located in Australia, we particularly appreciate applications from Indigenous Australian, as we continue to play an important role in reconciliation and ‘Closing the Gap’ with the traditional First Nations Australians.
Wellbeing, Health and Safety
We ensure our people enjoy healthy workplaces, deploy practices that reduce risk, comply with workplace Health & Safety regulations, impose zero harm to the communities that we operate in and support each other so we can all go home to safely every day.
To apply for the position please send your resume with a cover letter to Madeleine.Stanboultgis@bgeeng.com.
We invite inquiries and applications from candidates directly, hence agencies need not respond.