Based in the Local Government Area of Concord, the former Mortlake Gasworks operated from 1883 to 1990, during which time it provided the surrounding community with considerable employment. The heritage building has been retrofitted into a modern residential building, that is now enveloped in a bustling urban environment.
BG&E provided structural engineering and materials testing services, including investigation and existing structural assessments. Our team also contributed to the preliminary and detailed design, and the construction phase.
The key aspects of the works included:
- repurposing the 1850’s masonry structure;
- installing new light-weight floors;
- installing a new mansard roof;
- seismic assessment of existing masonry elements, using in-situ test results;
- strengthening of existing foundations; and
- verification of existing concrete floor.
This former gas fitters workshop in Breakfast Point has been revitalised and certification of the redevelopment was achieved by applying a performance-based design approach.