The WestConnex Stage 3B – Rozelle is a group of underground tunnels connecting the M4-M5 Link with Victoria Road, East of the Iron Cove Bridge, and The Crescent, the Anzac Bridge, and the City West Link.
The Rozelle Interchange and Iron Cove Link connects the M4 East at Haberfield to the M5 at St Peters via Rozelle. The project includes an interchange at Rozelle, with provision for a future connection to the Western Harbour Tunnel and comprises:
- connections from the main tunnel works infrastructure to the surface road network at City West Link, Victoria Road, Iron Cove Bridge and Anzac Bridge;
- road upgrades around the Bays Precinct and Inner West; and
- the provision of 10 hectares of new public open space, located at the disused Rozelle Rail Yards.
BG&E provided structural, civil and construction engineering services for WestConnex Stage 3B, specifically, our team designed the temporary civil and structural components to allow site access, establishment and tunnelling.
Some of the key elements our scope of works included:
- three declines to tunnel portals (structural design of the retaining elements and the geometry for the 60-memtre long ramp into decline portal to a depth of eight metres, a 154-metre long ramp into decline portal to a depth 14.5 metres, and for a 100-metre long ramp into decline portal to a depth of 13 metres);
- three site compounds at Rozelle, City West Link and Iron Cove Link;
- all temporary drainage requirements;
- two new intersections and staging requirements from City West Link into the Rozelle site compound;
- temporary flood modelling for Rozelle site compound;
- foundations for three acoustic sheds for noise attenuation of construction activities at the portal, traffic staging;
- City West Link temporary staging structures;
- two-span plank road bridge with a high skew and horizontal curves used to support traffic on the temporary eastern and western ramps to divert traffic for the staged demolition and construction of the Victoria Road bridge; and
- an eight-span steel pedestrian bridge to provide pedestrian access around the demolition and construction works at City West Link.