Transport for NSW (TfNSW) continues to plan The Horsley Drive Upgrade between the M7 Motorway (M7), Cowpasture Road and Horsley Park, to help meet the growing transport demands in the West of the city.
The key features of this project include:
- a four-lane divided road between the M7 and Cowpasture Road with a wide central median to allow for six lanes in the future;
- an extra eastbound lane from West of Ferrers Road to Cowpasture Road;
- a pedestrian and cyclist shared path along The Horsley Drive, connecting to the parklands and cycleway in western Sydney;
- upgrade of the Ferrers Road and Cowpasture Road North intersections; and
- replacing the roundabout at The Horsley Drive and Cowpasture Road with a traffic light intersection.
The proposed Horsley Drive upgrade will provide an essential East-to-West connection between the M7 and the Smithfield/Wetherill Park industrial area. The upgrade will also improve access to the vast employment opportunities in western Sydney.
Mott McDonald, RPS and BG&E, collectively, MRB Technical Services (MRB) is providing the detailed design, documentation and construction support services.
The detailed design is expected to be completed by early 2022.
After the detailed design has been completed, a competitive process will be undertaken by TfNSW, to appoint a construction industry contractor to deliver the major construction work on the upgrade will with major expected to begin in early 2023.