Upon completion in 2012, this awe-inspiring development was the world’s second tallest hotel, with twin-tower skyscrapers standing 355 metres up into Dubai’s skyline.
BG&E provided structural engineering services, which comprised the following key features:
- twin concrete-frame towers on piled raft foundations;
- glazed guest lifts in the 80-storey towers;
- expansive podium areas with tall, unrestrained tower columns;
- stability via the use of a concrete core and outrigger walls;
- transfer structures at first hotel floors above the podium; and
- post-tensioned flat plate slabs.
This timeless luxury hotel features 1,364 guest rooms, 240 suites, four Presidential Suites, a banquet hall, an auditorium, 18 specialty retail stores, 19 restaurants and a day spa, all surrounded by perfectly manicured landscaping.