Situated on the turquoise waterfront of the Burj Khalifa District in Dubai, The Residences Dorchester Collection, is an opulent development that embodies contemporary design and robust constructability.
BG&E provided structural design and site support services for this prestigious residential development, which helped the architects to realise their vision and the contractor to navigate through the local development regulations.
The interconnected dual-tower development includes a hotel and serviced apartments, spanning across two basement levels and a 31-storey building.
Some of the key features of the structure include:
- several large voids with only structural columns and escape stairs continuing through;
- common landscaped terraces surround the base of the building voids;
- the upper penthouse levels feature landscaped terraces and shallow pools;
- the ballroom and function space requirements at podium levels dictated the need for tower columns to be transferred up to 26 metres;
- a large truss, visible in elevation, has been used to redirect loads around the ballroom space; and
- a post-tensioned slab has been used within these areas to minimise structural thickness and control deflection over large spans.