The Tonkin Gap Alliance includes Main Roads Western Australia (WA), Public Transport Authority, Georgiou, BMD, WA Limestone, GHD and BG&E.
The alliance is delivering the $400 million Tonkin Gap Project which will relieve the bottleneck where the Great Eastern Highway reduces from three lanes to two, in Bayswater and Redcliffe, which will significantly reduce travel time and improve safety.
The associated works will provide rail-enabling works for the METRONET Morley-Ellenbrook Line along the Tonkin Highway, including underpasses and dive structures, to enable trains to enter and travel along the median of Tonkin Highway and exit in Malaga.
The scope of works encompasses:
- additional traffic lanes in each direction between Collier Road and Dunreath Drive;
- new bridges over the Swan River, Guildford Road, Railway Parade, the Midland Line railway and Dunstone Road;
- upgrades to the Guildford Road and Great Eastern Highway interchanges;
- a principal shared path with bridges, underpasses and local connections for cyclists and pedestrians; and
- noise walls, lighting and amenity improvements.
BG&E is providing structural and civil engineering services for the project.
Construction is underway and is scheduled for completion in 2023.