The School of Performing Arts is nestled in Sydney’s growing west and is an integral part of the University of Western Sydney’s Kingswood Campus.
BG&E provided structural engineering for the progressive facility, which comprises areas for academic learning and practical experiences – including nine interconnecting dance studios, learning spaces and an administration centre.
Some of the key features of the school are set out below.
- Three large dance studios comprising a steel framed structure, precast facade and steel roof sheeting.
- The nine dance studios required specific details to limit acoustic and vibration breakout between the studios and the other areas.
- A combination of cast on ground concrete and precast floors were used on the undulating site.
- The ground conditions required the installation of small-piled foundations that could accommodate a future basement level.
- The external steelwork comprises a high-performance protective paint coating for aesthetic reasons, rather than hot dip-galvanising.